Saturday 2 April 2011

Ribs.

I recently went to Tennessee, and stopped by Memphis. I ate a lot of ribs. So many delicious ribs that when I came back to Canada, it was almost a shame to even try them in a restaurant here. So I decided to make my own. A couple of racks with a Memphis Dry Rub that I attempted to make, and a couple of racks with my scotch bbq sauce. My Memphis Dry Rub is pretty simple: paprika, pepper, brown sugar, salt, celery seeds, crushed garlic, crushed pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and a bit of dry mustard and salt. I didn't measure but it was round a tablespoon each, more or less depending on the strength of the spice.
They went on the bbq after chilling for 5 hours. In-direct heat at 350 and off in 1 hour and 15 minutes. You should baste these ribs about every 15 minutes. I used a vinegar/dry mustard/hot sauce mixture.





The scotch sauce is 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/3 soy sauce, scotch, garlic, 1.5 tbsp dry mustard, pepper, salt, more scotch, 1/4 hp sauce, some chilli powder and some cayenne powder. I didn't really measure either. The ribs got a pepper treatment then where wrapped in tin foil and baked in the oven for about 1.5 hours. Then they got drunk with sauce. I like my ribs saucy. They marinated at room temp for 2 hours. Bbq was heated to 350 and slapped on the grill for around 30 min. Be careful as this sauce is full of sugar and will burn. Watch your heat. I basted these with more sauce every 10 minutes or so, flipping when needed.



It was a toss up on which ones I liked more. The wet ribs were falling off the bone good. The sauce was almost a little too sweet and I would cut back on the sugar next time. And maybe add more scotch. The dry rub was great. The rub had a good kick too it and formed a very crispy skin to the ribs. The only thing I would do differently to them is smoke. Cause it ain't Memphis if it isn't smoked! I don't own a smoker or charcoal grill (yet) so that will have to wait. Overall these were delicious and a repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment